Throughout the first volume of Maus I found many parts of
the story that evoked an extreme amount of pathos. One part I found was on page
159. This is towards the very end of the first volume. On the very last page
there is a large picture drawn very dark. It is a picture of Auschwitz. Vladek
states “we knew everything. And here we were”. I think this part of the story
is very powerful because it shows a loss in the hope everyone once harbored. As
they got moved into a smaller house and eventually the ghetto , they were
constantly told it would get better. Now that they are in Auschwitz, they
know that it won’t get better, and some may even die here. They lost
everything, all of their possessions and jobs, but the most powerful oppression
was the loss of hope. I think this can really apply to people’s ethos.
No comments:
Post a Comment