Maus was
definitely my favorite book to read this semester. I think that if I had to
compare it to any of the books that we read, I would compare it to Eating Animals. Both Jonathan Safran
Foer and Art Spegielman used the technique of story telling. Instead of
spouting facts at us, like Carr did in the Shallows,
they both make us want to read the book and learn what happens next. Both
authors also use personal experience. Foer uses facts as well as how he found
out the information he presented by describing the times he broke into factory
farms. Spegielman’s whole book is from his point of view. I see these books as
very similar as they both use the same techniques, such as pathos. Spegielman
uses pathos when drawing or telling his father’s story to get sympathy from his
audience, just as Foer uses pathos to get sympathy towards the animals. Foer
shows us the worst things that are done in factory farms and to the animals we
eat, while Spegielman shows us the worst things that humans could do to other
humans. Also, they both use others’ point of view throughout their books. Foer
uses the letters and testimonies he receives from people he has interviewed and
Spegielman uses his father’s, mala’s, and his wife’s point of view.
No comments:
Post a Comment