Thursday, May 8, 2014

Post 14

One speech that stood out as a very interesting topic was Jake's speech on music piracy. I've been torn on the issue, myself, for so long because I love music and it can add up to be pretty expensive if I actually buy digital and physical copies. So I mostly download for free. It's cheap, it's easy, and I get to listen to as much music as I want. But I also feel bad that the artists aren't getting the money. But Jake's speech opened my mind to the idea that even if artists aren't making all of that money, the piracy allows their music to be heard by more people and promotes them as a band more than it ever would have in the past. It's an interesting side of the argument that I hadn't considered before, but I really see how piracy can be a very beneficial thing for a band now. It really could be saving music as a whole. I can't imagine not being able to have all of the music I do just because I can't afford it. I wouldn't even know about some of the bands that I listen to if that was the case. It was definitely a compelling argument and an interesting take on the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment