Sunday, May 4, 2014

Blog Post 11


Nicholas Carr’s The Shallows was arguing that the growing use of technology and the Internet is not helping our brains. He believes that it contributes to our lack of human connection in today’s society. I think Carr has many holes in his argument, and the book was not very effective at convincing me of his point. The Shallows takes to long to make its point and even then it is not entirely sure what Carr wants to happen with technology in the modern world. He doesn’t propose any solutions and the entire book feels as though he is blaming the younger generations for this lack of human connection due to technology. I do agree that the amount of technology that is being used these days does create a lack of human connection with everyone, but this isn’t even Carr’s major concern. He seems to be worried about what the technology is doing to our brains. He talks for a while about the history of reading and writing, which I feel, isn’t totally relevant to his argument. Overall, I wasn’t a fan of the way Carr argued for his point. All of the histories of various things like reading, writing, and the human memory caused his argument to be extremely repetitive. I think that is one of the main reasons his argument was not effective for me because I feel as though it could have been much clearer and he could have taken so many less pages to say what he felt needed to be said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment