Sunday, May 11, 2014

Post #11

This is the second time that I have read The Shallows for a class and it was interesting to see the different perspectives that I recalled from each class. Both classes had kind of the same view about it (that his views are old fashion dated and unrealistic) but it was interesting to see how much more critical this class was to my previous class. Thinking back to the first time I read this book I think it was a little more received by that class because of the audience in the class. I was a sophomore at the time and I was one of the youngest people in the class as a opposed to a mom and numerous seniors who were my class mates. Growing up with older parents in a more traditional house I still do hold on to the ideals that Carr holds so deep to his heart in which he tries to convey in his writing probably more than a lot of people do. I see multiple aspects in which the internet has shaped my thinking and the thinking of my peers whether that is through my writing, thinking, social behavior etc. I accept that the internet is indeed doing something to our brains. Is that something bad necessarily? I'm not sure yet, but it definitely is apparent that there are things in this culture that we value more than past which Carr argues. One thing that I found very interesting about the reaction from this class, who have grown up in this digital age than my first, is being adamant that every knew generation has experienced change with every new technological innovation that has been implemented into our culture. Instead of fighting this movement and looking at it as all of the evil in the world, we should instead embrace this movement as a new cultural movement that is pushing our society towards greater and better. Like I said I understand where Carr is coming from because his thoughts are some of the very values that I hold, but instead of condoning the internet we are simply more careful of how we use it not letting it affect the way we think by combining the good of the old and the good of the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment