Sunday, May 11, 2014

Post #10

I am not the biggest reader in the world. In fact, I am probably the mold of person in society that Carr wrote The Shallows around because there have been few books that have ever had the ability to really allow me to keep vigorously flipping through the pages. The one book though that really sticks out in my mind that I got fully immersed in was the autobiography of baseball star Josh Hamilton. At the time I was in high school and was obsessed with baseball. Josh Hamilton had just emerged into the MLB after being picked first overall in the MLB draft and since had fallen from baseball because of a drug addiction. After being in an out of rehab, Hamilton made his way to the MLB and in his first season back became on the most dominate players in baseball. I had known a little bit about his story but I got this book because of how intrigued I was with him as a person. I believe that I finished this book in about two days because I couldn't put it down. Reflecting on my history of reading I think this book had such an impact on me because through the media whether that was ESPN, the new, magazines, etc. I felt that I sort of knew Josh Hamilton and by reading his whole story I was able to connect with him because it felt that I was reading the come back story of a friend that I knew. I really thrive off of real life connection and I feel that reading biographies and true stories have a way bigger impact on my reading than reading a novel because of the fact that I can connect to the real life character.

No comments:

Post a Comment