Sunday, May 11, 2014
Post #13
Throughout this whole semester we have read a very wide array of literature. From an arguably too descriptive of a book that tended to put haunting images of animal cruelty into our minds to a somewhat boring cut and dry book of the shallows to the comic like style of maus. All of these book are very different in nature but all of which are definitely tied to one element of writing which is to gain resonance with an audience of readers. Reading Maus was interesting for me. I have read books on the Holocaust before and I have read graphic novels before but not one that uses such a real life and traumatic event personified by animals. It was a very interesting take, indeed. Some of it I liked and some I found less appealing for a few reasons. In my opinion, it lacked credibility with me. I kept having to remind myself that this is an actual true story of a catastrophic event of arguably the worst crime on humanity in history. Even though I wasnt a huge fan of Eating Animals, I felt that I had more of a connection with his writing because he allowed his words put an image in my mind instead of the author trying to do that on his own. I am not a vegan by any means because of the book but it definitely allowed me to make more of a connection. With all three of these novels they all had something in common in that they would try making a personal connection by sharing why writing this is important to them. With Maus he kept reverting back to present time or different situations with his father which backed up his story when his father was in the concentration camps. With Eating Animals he went to life experience of eating meet which was then reinforced with facts and different stories backing up his beliefs. In addition, Carr did the same with talking about his own personal experience and opinion on technology and used that to back up his facts and logistics trying to make a more stronger argument that he felt would resonate with his readers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment