I thought everyone did
a great job at presenting their speeches this week! One of my favorites was Milica’s.
I thought that her topic was very interesting and I thought she had a lot of
good arguments for why the sex industry can be empowering for women. Before her
speech, I was one of those who did not entirely agree with stripping and porn because
I thought that these woman held little self-respect and made their body’s
objects to men. However, listening to Milica gave me a new perspective. First
off, I never thought about the sex industry being empowering for women and didn’t
take into consideration that some women might actually enjoy what they do and
feel free when doing it. I am a firm believer in doing what makes you happy, no
matter what that might be, so in this way I would say that I have changed viewpoints
concerning this topic. However, I will say that I still am not quite sure how I
feel about women doing these things just for the money. Milica had mentioned
that the average stripper makes 125 grand a year. I think this is major part of
what compels women to get into the business. But it does make sense why they
would turn to this sort of ‘career,’ especially if they do generally enjoy
doing it. I also liked how she pointed out the stereotypes between men and
women. I thought rhetorically that this was very effective because it shows the
sexism that woman face and how unfair it is. Women are not treated as well as
men in this aspect and I agree that this is something that needs to change. Overall,
I thought this was a very interesting argument and I really enjoyed listening
to it!
No comments:
Post a Comment