The Shallows, for me, started out really good and
interesting, and then it turned south really quickly. I thought the book was
going to be a little more based on how it’s changing us with actual,
physiological, medical fact rather than talking about how we don’t read the
paper anymore and how we like to see Tweets, which is cool nonetheless, but it
was very dry and boring to read over and over and over again. I ended up
falling asleep to Carr’s dreary voice (that’s what I imagine it sounds like)
because I literally could not keep my attention on the book. I did, however,
like the little asides in the book, or digressions. Those were informative and
were kind of fun to read. I don’t really disagree that we are forgetting the
value of books, but I also don’t agree that this is harmful. The book Carr
wrote is very informative, rhetorical, and argumentative, I just think it could
be done in thirty to forty less pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment