I think throughout the novel, Eating Animals, there have been many
times I felt an emotional reaction to what I was reading. However, in chapter
6, I felt that once Safran Foer states his official opinion where he says he
will not eat meat, I think that gives us a clearer understanding as to what he
is trying to get across with this book. Even though he states that he is not
trying to convince anyone to go vegetarian, and that it is someone’s own
personal choice, it is hard not to feel like he is judging people who choose to
eat meat. Up until this point, the only other time I had quite an emotional
reaction was when he was describing what is done to the chickens in factory
farms, just because I didn’t know quite to what extent the awful conditions
were. It feels as though the moment in chapter 6 where Safran Foer gives his
official beliefs on eating meat was the moment that the book had been leading
up to this whole time. It feels this way because we had always heard about his
internal struggle to decide what was the best thing to do in terms of eating
meat or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment