http://media02.hongkiat.com/photoshop-mistakes/photoshop_failure_graphics_1.jpg
I get pleasure out of seeing terrible photoshop mistakes in advertising. Missing body parts, extra body parts, you name it. But after watching Killing Us Softly 4, I think I may have some different views on those mistakes (in addition to them being just downright hilarious).
In this ad from some years ago, Veronica Kay is seen mounted atop a surfboard, lustfully staring into the camera while riding the...well she's not riding anything, the surfboard is just kind of floating in air. At first glance one may be drawn to her features, her face, the setting, and fail to realize that she is, in fact, missing one of her legs. I can't imagine what part of her the editors were SO focused on that they just forgot about the leg. Or maybe the leg weighed too much so they just took it out to make her seem lighter. After watching the documentary, I realize there is another side to this: the fact that editors are so obsessed with photoshopping their models to look "perfect" that they can so easily pass over the biggest mistakes. What kind of implications does this have for the women? Is it more of a carelessness or an obsession on the editor's side? Either way, it clearly shows that the focus is supposed to be elsewhere (in this one, probably on her head and upper body). It's not just funny anymore, it's actually pretty haunting to see how the world of advertising works.
No comments:
Post a Comment