Sunday, March 9, 2014
The everything-has-led-to-this-moment moment (Week 7).
For me, Chapter 6 of eating animals has had the greatest impact on me since we started reading. I tried to think of a specific moment that stood out to me as being the most striking but found it difficult. Something about the whole chapter is really powerful to me. But I think that if I were to choose one moment it would be in the last section of the chapter when Safran Foer finally brings his own beliefs and practices into the picture. It sort of seemed like an everything-has-led-to-this moment. After all the past chapters that were full of facts and stories from other people and of his own, he finally tells us the action that he takes after knowing all of it. In class discussions we sort of decided that this last section came off as a call-to-action from Safran Foer--one in which he was implicitly telling us that his choices to not eat meat are the right ones and that we should follow in his example. Although I do think it came off that way, I also think that that moment in the book is so powerful since it's the ultimate connection with the audience--the one in which he finally tells us how he (the presumed expert) interprets what he found out and how he puts it into action.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment