Monday, March 10, 2014

Eating Animals Chapter 6

The part that impacted me most during chapter 6 of Eating Animals was when Safran Foer had the internal dilemma of eating the meat at the Paradise Butchery. To me, this part seemed very believeable and I could definitely see both sides of his situation. The first being that he is standing inside of a place where he is surrounded by animals that are being killed and processed to create the product to which he was presented in in the chapter. The other side being that he wanted to experience the social aspect of eating the product with the owner and have the camaraderie that is linked to food in our society. This scene reminded me of a specific moment in my life actually. During my senior year of high school for my baking class we watched the movie food inc. I was pretty much traumatized and couldn't believe what I had watched. I swore off meat completely that day. For a few weeks my new found vegetarianism was pretty easy to maintain. This came to a screeching halt when a family friend had a barbecue. I looked around and all i could see was people eating hamburgers and hot dogs and ribs. I thought to myself "who would I be to go to a barbecue and not eat a hamburger?"it just didn't seem right thus i went back to my meat eating ways.  

No comments:

Post a Comment