Sunday, March 30, 2014

Post #6 - Holdgrafer


My favorite chapter in Eating Animals was the chapter that talked mainly about the chickens. I think this one hit home the most because of the way it showed the actual torture going on with the animals. The beginning of the chapter shows an empty rectangle, which is roughly the size of a cage for a grown chicken. Being someone who needs a lot of free open space, I sympathize with the chicken because living in such a cramped area is hard and stressful(depending on whether the chicken likes his neighbors and cagemates, obviously) and takes a toll on the animal, especially when wild chickens are used to running free and being in wide, open spaces (not to be confused with the Dixie Chicks song). I know torture is wrong, and that humane animal slaughter is the best way to do things. When I heard how treacherous these animals have it, I immediately felt awful and disgusted with big companies that do this just to save a few cents per chicken. I also realize that humane slaughter is a lot more critical and time consuming, making factory farming much more economical in the eyes of the greedy, so, although there is a right and ethical way to do things, I feel bad because I feel there is not much I can do. I also thought that Words/Meanings was a good chapter because of all the background information it provided us so that we could further understand different meanings of words by definition and by Saffran Foer’s connotations.

No comments:

Post a Comment