Sunday, March 30, 2014
Post #1 - Holdgrafer
In the book Thank You For Arguing I have learned
quite a few new things. I learned a little about pathos, ethos and logos and
how these things are used in our everyday lives from radio announcers to
advertisements to the books we read. Ethos is an appeal to reputation or
character, such as a doctor recommending Viagra to a
no-longer-intimate-due-to-mechanical-problem couple because he is a doctor and
has a decent amount of knowledge on said medicine. Pathos is an appeal to
emotion, trying to make people feel a certain way or feeling to enhance your
point of objective in a persuasive manner. Logos is an appeal to logic made to
give an audience knowledge and facts about a point or argument a rhetor is
trying to convince. This book has made me more rhetorically conscience about
what I see and what I am reading, as well as to which rhetorical traps I fall
victim to. This will help and aid me in making decisions as well as standing
firm ground on my beliefs as when trying to be swayed by opponents. I think one
thing that surprised me from the reading is the ease of rhetorical tools to be
used in an argument and how subtle they can be, especially in pathos. I also
thought it was interesting to see Aristotle’s statement that pathos is the most
important of the three greek devices to master, as you can win almost any
argument by snatching up your audience’s feelings and playing them like a
puppet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment