Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 7

In chapter 6 of Eating Animals, the thing that stuck out the most to me was when Safran Foer really voiced his opinion. After reading it multiple times, it is hard to pick out if he is actually trying to sway you one way or another.
 I think that he was very respectful in sharing his opinion because he stated that it was his beliefs and that he would not impose it on other people. In the first sentence of the last paragraph he states that his decision to not eat animals is for person reasons. He also said that he did not write this book to impose his personal opinion, which gives the impression that he is simply trying to educate people about the truth of the food industry. Another reason I have to believe that he isn’t imposing his opinion on the reader is because of the title of the book. If his goal was to make all readers eliminate animals from their diet, then I think the title would be harsher, suggesting that.

However, I do have reasons to believe that he is trying to impose his opinion on the reader. The entire book is basically preaching that a person should not eat animals because of the poor treatment that the animals are receiving. His use of harsh language and very detailed stories lead me to believe that he is trying to get the reader to not eat animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment