Saturday, March 29, 2014

Post #7


During the group speeches, the topic that seemed to interest me the most was the drinking age discussed by Brandon, Taylor, Alec, and Lucy. It really brought my attention to things I would never think about unless I was to research the information in my own time. This is another reason I like doing projects/speeches on things that I do not have much background information about the topic. I particularly like Brandon’s viewpoint as his character of the doctor. I think he made good points by saying that the drinking age should not be lowered at all. He made his argument by re-stating that it should stay the same or maybe even be made older. I found it very effective that he brought up the idea that in the United States the drinking age is 21, however, the brain is not even fully developed at that point in life. To me, it is very sad to think about children in other countries that have no drinking age. They start drinking at a very young age because it is accepted and there are no rules against it. When a child starts drinking at such a young age, they cannot make up that brain growth that they lost. All in all, I thought that the drinking age topic for the group speeches was most interesting mainly because it pertained to me the most compared to the other topics. In addition, I like how Lucy talked about the car crash that was caused by a drunk driver and used pathos doing so to get the audience to agree with her. I noticed that classmates who used a lot of pathos in their arguments were not questioned as much as others who used different rhetoric techniques, meaning they got the audience to agree with them at least a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment