Monday, March 31, 2014

Blog Post 9


I always thought advertisement was at least a little sexist, but I had never given it a ton of thought because I thought most of the sexism was over at least a decade ago. However, I was aware that there was a lot of altering of the photos that are put in ads, because women always look perfect. I notice this especially in ads for makeup, because the women always look like they have no flaws on their face. For example, Covergirl always uses a girl that is very wholesome looking and will have mass appeal because she has flawless skin, great makeup, and perfect hair. This isn’t a blatant form of sexism, however it gives girls an unrealistic idea of what they should look like. As I learned from the documentary this causes a lot of issues for girls in their developing years. I never thought about all the consequences that those ads, and other sexist ones, have on girls and women because I tried not to pay too much attention to them. Also, I didn’t realize the impact ads have on violence, I didn’t realize they were that connected as much as they were. This documentary made me realize that most ads out there are pretty sexist, and not just against women, and I definitely have noticed more than before I watched the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment