Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 6

Jonathan Safran Foer has made many grusome points about the harmful treating of animals. In chapter four however, he does something that takes it to a new level. First of all, he starts out by saying he would usually not doing something of this nature (breaking into a factory farm that is) to get us, the audience, to not think of him as an extremist. One thing that really stood out to me, however, was that he sent multiple letters to corporations like Tyson about wanting to tour their factory farms and none of these letters were answered. By what he found in the farm, I can see why Tyson would not want him to see inside. I am very concerned about the poor health of these animals and am very concerned about the fact that we actually eat these animals. The chickens were full of disease and were not carefully checked for puss or infection. Not only does this make me wonder about what meat I'm eating but also just what I put into my body in general without being aware of harmful chemicals or poor preparation. I also wonder why there are not even more cases of food born illnesses than what there already is. Jonathan Safran Foer may need to change the pace of the book and not focus so much on trying to gross out the audience if he wants to continue to keep me interested in it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment