Sunday, March 30, 2014

Blog post 6

There was never a point in time where I was ever even in the ballpark of thinking I would never eat animals again. Foer did a good job at what my sarcastic view of his main goal is to completely gross out everyone, which I'm sure many would say he successfully did. Yes, I think a little bit about what I am about to eat more so now than before reading this book, but I was just so turned off by his disgusting analogies and stories of animals that it was just ineffective for me. Our culture is so ingrained in the idea of eating meat that it will never become a veganistic society, but I dont think that was Foers realistic view with this book. I feel like this book would have been way more effective if he took out the over dramatic examples (even if they are true) because yes its gross, am I a changed man after eating them? No. He should have taken more of an approach that Jamie Oliver did in the movie that we watched about health. One thing that I wont forget about that video is the amount of sugar that a elementary school kid consumes in a few years from milk. By putting that image in my mind of a whole wheel barrel of sugar being poured on to the stage I had to take a step back and reevaluate a lot of things. Milk is supposed to be healthy for you but when companies start adding so much sugar to it, you might as well have a mountain dew. That is the same for chicken. Chicken is a lead meat that is high in protein, it should be healthy for you. Seeing how they are kept prepared and maintained in these big farms, it is quite the contrary. I will have the occasional Milk Jug knowing how much sugar is in it, but I will not make it a staple in my diet. Same goes for chicken, now I know how unhealthy these chickens are Im still going to eat the occasional chicken nugget, but I will remember how bad of chicken it is. Pushing for better conditions for these animals is more of the route i would take.

No comments:

Post a Comment