Friday, March 28, 2014

Blog Post Nine

Watching the documentary in class this week about sexism in advertisement really got me thinking about what ads are actually portraying. I had never really sat down and thought about the way women are characterized in advertisements, especially high end advertising. Women are photographed to emphasize their most sexy and most feminine features. Sometimes, only the feminine features are in the picture which dehumanizes the person. By doing this, as the documentary pointed out, women are looked at as objects and not really people. Until this video, I had not really thought about it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. I can clearly see now how that could add violence towards women. When males see these types of things they could start to think of women that way-just objects without feelings and individuality. Now, I don't really believe that all men fall for such a thing. Most men are good people and treat women with respect it is  just those who maybe are on the edge that can get unintended ideas from these types of ads.
Another part of this is the way women feel after seeing these ads of not only perfection but vulnerability at the same time. In the video she stated that only 5% of the advertisement goes into the conscience mind. The rest is stored in your sub conscience. This is very alarming because it almost seems like a type of brain washing, and it can have alarming effects on how a girl feels about herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment