Saturday, March 29, 2014

Post #8



In this advertisement for Calvin Klein jeans the one woman is portrayed as an object in my opinion. I agree with Jean Kilbourne when she says that advertisement is always getting worse with the way society braches off the differences between males and females. In this particular photograph the men are acting as animals towards the female. The man on the far left is grabbing her in a sexual way and looks like he is going to kiss her neck. The man on the left bottom is acting like he does not care about what is going on, which I do not understand why. The man on the right is pulling the woman’s hair in an abusive way and forcing the guy on the left closer to the woman. In general this advertisement is very sexual and does not even come close to connecting with the main product, being jeans. Going back to what Kilbourne said, I believe that hair pulling does in fact bring more aggression to men. Men see advertisements everywhere and I think that seeing something makes you think that you can do it or want to do it and in this case seeing an aggressive male, makes other males want to be aggressive to get what they want, which in fact leads to abuse towards women. Overall, I think that Calvin Klein should think of different ways to view women and set a different perspective for consumers that will either see this in a popular magazine or buy the product for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment