Saturday, April 19, 2014

Post #10

The last book I really got immersed into has to be Looking for Alaska by John Green. I think I sat down with the book and read it in two hours. The story is told by Miles "Pudge" Halter, who is hopelessly head-over-heels for Alaska Young, who is the typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl. The thing about Looking for Alaska is that I could relate, at the time, to that feeling of inferiority that Pudge felt, where I felt miniscule in comparison to Alaska, but I could also relate to Alaska's indifference to Pudge, who almost seems to worship Alaska at times. I could relate to all the feelings of those characters at the time of reading (around the beginning of the summer before freshman year of college). I think that the story itself was a rather morbid one, but, without giving any spoilers, I think at the time of reading the story, I could see myself in the situations of all of the characters in the book at almost any given time.I think that if I were to recreate that situation of deep reading, it honestly wouldn't be all that hard, but I would have to be pulled into the story within the first ten pages. Books without a good hook are not really good at holding my attention, but a book could have a really good beginning and end with a dry middle, and I would still be able to continue reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment