Monday, April 28, 2014

Blog Post 12



One moment that I feel exemplified extraordinary pathos was when Vladek’s friends were made an example of by the Germans and hanged in the street for a week (85). This page contained a picture of the full body hangings, a couple of pictures with just their feet hanging, and you could see the sadness on Vladek’s face when he explained the situation. I found the pictures to be the most powerful in portraying pathos because you can only imagine how horrible it would have been to see real bodies, not just a comic of mice.
The reason for their hanging was because they were caught dealing goods without coupons. I found this incredibly heartbreaking because at this time all the Jews were just doing what they had to in order to survive and helping each other out in any way they could. Everyone was doing it. And to find out that goodhearted people, who were only trying to help out there fellow Jews by giving them goods without coupons, had to suffer the consequences makes me sad and angry that that was something that even happened, and to a lot of people. This shows the extent at which all Jews were treated and I think it also highlights the fact that Vladek was very lucky to have never gotten caught with his ‘business’ and contributes to the fact that he is a survivor.   

No comments:

Post a Comment