Sunday, April 6, 2014

Blog post 9

In our discussion last week in class, many people voiced their opinion on how they did not like how Carr is setting up his book. I agree that some of the stuff that he says seems irrelevant and somewhat obnoxious but I think that the history lessons he gives are very necessary in relating to the book. Although I’m not sure how the rest of the book is written, I think that every reader will be able to relate much better. An argument that he made which stood out to me was on page 43, “The mechanical clock changed the way we saw ourselves. And like the map, it changed the way we thought.”

            I feel like this quote is the theme of the book. I think that what he is saying is that since people learned the concept of time, they have become completely dependent and revolved their lives around it. In this case I think that he is making the point that having a sense of time is a good thing and has benefitted many people. However, I think that he is going to argue the opposite view point for the Internet. It seems that Carr is leading up to tell that the internet has had a negative effect on our lives and he is using his clock/map the reader can relate to how dependent people have become on such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment