“The
plasticity diminishes as we get older-brains do get stuck in their ways- but it
never goes away” (pg. 26).
This quote
from chapter 2 explains the important fact that our brains are flexible and can
easily change. I thought that this chapter was the most effective and
convincing in comparison with the other chapters. Although his arguments tend
to be overdrawn, I thought that in the case of chapter 2, with the background
information about the brain, it was necessary and personally I thought it was
interesting. I thought he did a good job at explaining the neuroplasticity of
the brain and it almost felt as if I was reading out of a psychology book. I
think by including the background information about the brain strengthens his
argument. He really goes deep into the topic explaining the ways in which the
brain can change and the history of how it has evolved. Most of his argument
explains the nurture side of nature vs. nurture, which I think was what made
this part of his argument effective. In some parts of his arguments it is
unclear what his purpose is or what he actually believes but in chapter 2 it is
clear where he is going. I think the changing or plasticity of our brains plays
an important role in his main argument.
No comments:
Post a Comment