Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Blog Post 11

Overall, I was not a fan of The Shallows. The title "What the Interned is Doing to Our Brains" intrigued me, but by the 3rd chapter, I was bored of the book and did not want to read it anymore. I would have been fine with two chapters of background information that is relevant to Carr's argument, then given his viewpoints and the effects the Internet has on the brain. I mostly agreed with his point that the internet makes us more distracted in the everyday life. I always find myself checking my twitter feed, Facebook, or instagram during homework or classes, which makes it so much harder to efficiently learn and pay attention. Our brains always want something new to look at because of the way the internet effects us. Also, in Carr's first chapter, I agree that it is much much harder to read in depth novels or articles because we are used to getting snips of info from the internet and we prefer that because it takes less time. One thing I disagree with is that the internet makes us lose touch with the real world. Maybe in the sense of having real conversations and getting the full emotions from people, but the internet significantly connects people all around the world. I think with this being said, we have more knowledge of things going on around the world and we can understand a lot more. With the easy access of the internet, we can learn so many different things, even if we are not reading in-depth. I feel that there is no chance of getting away from the internet and/or the impact it has on our brains, positive or negative. It is part of our culture and a futuristic way of social behavior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment