Friday, February 14, 2014

Week 4 post

One word I found very interesting in chapter three of Eating Animals was the word organic. Growing up my whole life, I believed organic meant fresh, and meant better treatment of animals. When Jonathan Safrranfoer states that in fact the word organic doesn't necessarily mean animals get treated well, it made me rethink a lot of the basic principles of food I had learned. I think that this is a tactic that Jonathan employs as a rhetor. It allows a shock factor to occur with the audience, and it caused me to pay direct attention to the passage in the novel. He also states facts later in the chapter and uses examples such as KFC to reiterate the terrible treatment of animals. When a word such as organic can compare to the treatment of non-organic farms its causes great concern from the audience. He plays on the audience’s pathos evoking emotions towards the bad treatment of animals. This chapter was very eye opening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment