Thursday, February 20, 2014

Rhetoric of a Coffee Shop: A Retrospective.

To be honest, this is one of those classes that is always interesting and intriguing, but sometimes difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is that I am learning.  But the rhetoric of a coffee shop activity was kind of revealing in terms of what we've gained and retained from the readings and discussions we've had.  

Looking back on the activity now, I'm actually pretty surprised at how easy it was for us (my group) to analyze the visual rhetoric of our coffee shop.  Even after just 4 weeks in this class, aspects of the visual rhetoric in the coffee shop were jumping out at us really naturally.  For me, at least, it showed that this class is giving something to us besides interesting and intriguing readings and discussions (not that I didn't expect it to in the beginning).  

In my letter of introduction, I said that the main focus of my life right now is just to figure this world out, piece by piece.  That's what this class is helping me to do--to slow down and see how each artfully potted plant or behind-the-counter-hipster in a coffee shop can be telling me something very different and very specific.  So I'm glad to see the progress after just four weeks.

Also it was nice to get out of the classroom for the day, if we're being honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment