Free Range to me was the most interesting topic. Because the idea and tone of it contribute to the whole chapter. Foer structured his piece around definitions, so he would broach a definition used or popular in the industry, and then refute it. Free Range is one of the earliest spins on the definitions used by the food industry, and to me, the most powerful. I always thought free range was an open farm with open space and plenty of room for the livestock to roam and live, the truth pulled the rug from under my feet.
The contrast really started to break the image of farms that I had. I always thought farms were free range, open, not industrialized, and relatively respectful to the animals. Learning the opposite makes me think that Foer knew his audience did not know about the farms therefore adding the words/definitions chapter would be important to break the image of farms that we carry with ourselves, perhaps to justify why we don't feel bad for eating animals, since they did not suffer.
Nonetheless I found this to be very powerful and interesting, and a crucial definition to start to break the image of a family farm to a factory farm that readers have.
No comments:
Post a Comment