Thank
You for Arguing gave me
a new perspective on arguing in general, because it brought to my attention
things about winning an argument that I had never thought about before. I
didn’t think about the difference between a fight and an argument before, because
in my mind they seemed very similar. But Heinrichs does a good job of
explaining that a fight leads people nowhere, while an argument allows one
party to usually get what they want. I also never realized the role that
seduction played in arguing or persuasion, but now that I think about it, it
makes sense because it is a way of convincing and manipulating people without
them necessarily realizing what is happening. Heinrichs also shows that a large
part of winning an argument is using Ethos, Pathos, and Logos as methods of
getting people to do what you want them to do. In chapter 4, he describes in
great detail how each method of arguing could be used. I always thought that
Logos would be the most effective, because it is an argument based in facts,
but ultimately it seems as though Pathos would be more effective, if it works,
because Pathos plays to people’s emotions and that is always effective when
trying to convince someone of something. Ethos should usually work because it
shows there is credibility and people usually respect authority and people with
merit when they are telling them a piece of information, and therefore will
believe what the person is telling them.
No comments:
Post a Comment