Monday, February 3, 2014

Week #2 - Holdgrafer

I feel that after only reading the first 6 chapters of the book, I've learned quite a bit, and not just conceptually, I've learned a lot that is very applicable to every day use and very easy to understand. The thing that was discussed that probably stuck with the most was the discussion and defining of the three greek terms pathos, logos and ethos. The way that Heinrichs explained these topics, I thought, was impeccable. He did a great job keeping things simple, while at the same time using very realistic and easy-to-follow examples. I particularly find myself fond of the mechanism, pathos. Pathos, is so very manipulative and twisting, but at the same time so subtle to those being seduced by a speaker's use of the tool. Ethos and logos are really good things to use; they aid any argument on top of the use of pathos, but I feel that once someone is able to master the use of pathos and really able to twist the emotions of those he or she is trying to persuade, then a true art of arguing is formed. I also think, however, to master this is very difficult, too. As a speaker, you can't just throw at them, "Wow, I feel your pain, side with me!" You have to do slowly, almost as if smoking a large slab of meat. First, you have to recognize a common issue, then tie it in subtly with your speech, making agreement sneak right up behind them and slowly take over their conscience. This tactic is so widely used that, after talking about it in class, it definitely is MUCH easier to see when it's being executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment