Friday, January 31, 2014

The novel Thank You for Arguing has given me a whole new perspective on arguing. I have never thought about changing the way I argue in order to get a point across better and have the other person agree with me easier. I feel like Heinrichs is describing techniques that most people use without even realizing what they are doing. For example, I work at a daycare center and one of the easiest ways, I have found, to get a child to stop crying was by changing the subject. Most of the time I just comment on their shirt that might have a train or an animal on it and usually the child forgets all about what he or she had been crying about in the first place. I never really thought too much about it, but now after reading these chapters Heinrichs has made me realize that arguing can be used in a much more useful way.
In chapter 4, Heinrichs begins to discuss logos, ethos and pathos. I believe that the most effective out of these three strategical argument types is pathos. Pathos is argument by emotion. By triggering peoples' emotions I feel like you can manipulate them to do just about anything within reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment