Thursday, January 30, 2014

So far, I find Thank You for Arguing one of the most interesting books I have read. It really makes me think about arguments or even just conversations I’ve had in the past. It also gets me thinking about what I can do to make people do what I want. Heinrichs really puts insight into what I say and what I can do to become a more successful person. I really enjoy the sidebar notes that he has because he gives great advice on what to do in real life situations. His own personal examples also really help me to understand the point he is trying to make, like the story about him trying to get his son to wear pants instead of shorts to school.

            Having just read the fifth chapter, I found the idea of decorum really interesting, because I had no idea that it had to do with ethos, or argument by character. Hienrichs makes a great point when he says don’t dress or act like them, but how they expect you to. I never really thought about it but it is so true. Most kids would not want to see their parents dressing exactly like them rather the parents would appeal to their kids more if they dressed the way their kids expected them to dress. Sometimes you have to conform to what society wants or expects out of you to make a persuasive argument. Although it may seem shallow or typical, it is a very smart thing to consider when trying to make someone or society do what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment