Thursday, January 30, 2014

Review on this weeks readings

I found many interesting things this week in the novel Thank You for Arguing. I think the author brings up many interesting points and perspectives throughout the first chapters. In the first chapter, I liked the method of agreeing with someone, so they unconsciously cause one to win the argument. I found it interesting how the author describes argument as essentially being everywhere in our daily lives. It can be seen in TV commercials, politics, daily sales, and much more. I found it comical, that the author alludes to the fact his own cat is trying to make an argument with him, as he licks his arm. Also the author goes into great deal about using the art of seduction in an argument. He explains that setting the mood, and then attempting to change someone’s mind is an effective strategy. This then leads to agreement. A few more points I found interesting in the reading this week, were in chapter three. Here the author talks about how past tense, present tense, and future tense, can essentially effect an argument. He explains that using blame in argument can be rendered ineffective. It relates to using the past tense, and does little to the effectiveness of the argument itself. It suggest that using the future tense has a better effect on the argument. He also talks about three very important aspects of an argument, blame, choice, and morals. I thought this was a very interesting twist. I had never thought to analyze these three specific components. So far, I think this book has very good perspectives, and has really helped me understand more about argument. 

No comments:

Post a Comment